Monday, May 12, 2008

Mapping Out the Day

I love the quiet of the morning before my day officially begins. Time to take for myself and gradually time to look at the day that lies before me and see what we can do with it.

Today looks like it has the potential to be a good day. A perfect amount of kids coming which gives us some choices as to what we can do and where we can go. I have our lunch menu planned and hope to be outside for the remainder of the day by snack time.

Kids + fresh air + sunshine = a good day!

Last week as the kids were enjoying being back in the back yard and sandbox/play area after a long winter, these are some of the comments I heard:

"There is so much to do out here! This is fun!"

"This is boring ... we want to go inside ..."

Different kids, different days. I have one child that is the constant factor. He is always here. And he is very quick to adopt the attitude of the others that are here. He was thrilled to be outside and playing with different toys and doing different things. Until someone else on a different day planted the idea that being inside would be better.

Young or old, we are swayed by the attitudes around us. Attitudes are infectious. I try so hard to nurture the positive ones ... but some days it just doesn't happen.

There are leaders in every group. It doesn't matter what age you are. I watch the leaders and followers in my care change as the day goes on. Kind of like the birds flying in 'V' formation. One always manages to take the lead. I think that is why I almost prefer to have a varying age group around at times. You do want that 'leader' to change from time to time. As we get older, there are times to lead and times to follow. It all starts at a very young age.

There are so many things in our lives that affect how we see and react to the world. I look at daycare as being a stepping stone to going to school. Going to school teaches what you need to know about going into the working world. The relationships that surround our children teach them how to treat others. It all starts from home. When the rules at home are parallel with the rules and expectations at daycare, it really makes the transitions a lot easier. Kids will test the rules continually ... it's our job to be consistent (easier said than done).

And so another day begins. And ... my thoughts are all over the map!

No comments: