Friday, May 30, 2008

The Bulldozer

There always seems to be a person that dominates a group. The 'leader' ... whether the group is looking for one or not.

It can be a young little person just taking what they want because they don't know better. It can be an older little person manipulating a situation and 'bulldozing' their way to a place of power and dominance. It can be an adult in a group just taking charge of a situation that no one asked to be taken over.

That dominant personality is in all areas of life. At home, school, work and play.

I seem to be focusing on my 'underdogs' this week. The children that are getting bulldozed and manipulated by others. This seems to be what I am seeing.

I find this bulldozer trait a little more forgiving when the intent is innocent. The young ones that haven't learned better.

When I see that 'look' of knowing when a manipulative personality has wangled a situation to their liking and they 'always get the toy' or 'get their turn more often' or simply 'get what they want', it really irritates me.

I think the ones being 'bulldozed' also need to learn to find their voice and stand up for their rights. Everyone deserves to be heard.

"No means no" is a phrase I repeat over and over and over. I want these kids to learn that you don't overstep someone else's boundaries. Right now, it is simple things like taking a toy or taking someone else's turn. But as they grow, the ''No means no" is even more important. A girl should feel empowered by saying that to a boy if they ''go too far'' ... and the boy should learn to listen. No one at any age or stage of their life should feel overpowered by someone just because they are bigger or stronger.

No doesn't mean "maybe." No doesn't mean "I'll think about it." No deserves to be heard and heeded.

"No means no!"

No comments: