Monday, May 19, 2008

'Home' Again ...

The family that I wrote in my last blog, may be returning ....

I feel good that they may be coming back. This little girl is so good and she is enjoyable to have here. Not to mention the friendship she shares with my own son.

When this family moved out of my daycare, they changed schools, daycare providers and a whole new set of friends for their child. She has been out of my care for almost 2 years.

Sometimes ... it isn't about the money. When looking out for the best interest of your child, it is wise to look beyond the dollar signs.

I don't want to be ''all about the money'' either. Some give and take is required on both parts. There are parents that would pay almost anything I asked - they are so grateful to have their child with someone they trust. Then again, there are other parents that are financially strapped. I've been there. I was a working mom for the 20 years that preceded starting up this daycare. The reason I felt that I could be an effective daycare provider is because I knew what it was like to be the parent in need of daycare. I don't ever want to loose that perspective. And when it becomes all about the money ... it's time to reexamine my priorities.

This is why I have such a hard time placing a value on what I do. I have people tell me that I should raise my rates. The whole world has gone mad, in the financial scheme of things lately. Prices of everything is going up, up, up.

I'll sit down and play with the numbers this week and see what I come up with. I don't want to lose any children because of my rates. My motto has always been "I want the rates to be fair for both the parent and for me."

In the meantime, I'm very pleased that this little girl will probably be returning. I feel like she will be 'coming home' again.

No comments: