Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Unpredictable Nature of My Job

Once again, I am haunted with the ever changing schedules and budgets. The first week of this month went so well, that I thought maybe 2009 was a turning point. There is no such thing in the daycare business. One can rely on nothing.

This month, I calculated what I thought I could expect that I would be earning at the beginning of the month. By the 22nd of this month, I was short $400 of that total because of all of the variances to the schedule. I thought "No wonder I am cranky when this happens!"

Every time the phone rings (and it rings a lot), I wonder what curve ball is going to be thrown at me next.

When I expect a busy day, I am okay with it. I map out the menu, what we can do and how I will cope at the onset of the day. I am ready.

When I know the 'personalities' that are coming that day and how they work together, I gear myself up for the challenges that lie in wait or else enjoy a laid back sensation when I have a more easy-going crowd.

When I expect a quiet day, I map out a very different scenario. It is a day where I can squeeze in extras ... I can make soup, bake some snacks, maybe we can even leave the yard if I have few enough children! If I am expecting it, it is great.

I work with what I've got. But when I get a phone call (or more) in the morning, I am instantly reworking the day, menu, my coping abilities and activities in my mind and ... my budget.

So ... I drew up a proposal to a solution that I believe could work.

I love flat rate daycare rates. Everyone knows what the cost will be. I know my schedule and even if it varies, I know what I'm getting paid so I can cope with the variable factor.

So what I have proposed for those who pay by the day or by the hour, is for them to advise me of their schedule at the beginning of the month. I will then calculate what they will owe me for that month (to be paid on their regularly scheduled payment date). We will both know how to budget for that month and I will get paid what I am scheduled to be paid for.

It sounds like it should work. We'll see.

No comments: