Monday, January 26, 2009

Starting a New Family

Today marks Day #1 of a new family starting here. I thought this may be a good way to track the transition. Though each child and circumstance is different, many things are the same.

This little girl will be 2 years old next week. She is an only child and she is the cousin of one of the families that comes here. So she will have family here to ease the transition.

Since the mom knew of my reputation and had pretty well hired me sight unseen, our interview was different from a lot. I don't think either of us asked the questions that we may have, had we been complete strangers, during the interview process. I have a 'Daycare Policy' sheet, a questionnaire to be completed (phone numbers and information about the child) and I give out my card (with all of my contact information) to each family that starts coming here. So I count on that to fill cover what we may have missed (or trigger questions that the parent may not have thought of). So in many ways, I'm uncertain what today will bring.

She will be the first one here and the last one to leave today which won't make it easy on any count. Having other kids around usually helps the transition into our world. Playing and being distracted is a great way to pass the day. But the day looks like it will be a nice kid-load. The kids are out of school, so I'll have more school aged kids here today. And Monday is my 'quiet day' of the week, so we won't be overwhelmed either.

I believe that I am the 3rd childcare provider this little girl has had in the past year. So she should be used to the idea of leaving her mom. But that is a lot of change in a short amount of time ...

I'll post updates on our adjustments here - hers, mine and the kids. I hope today is a good first day!

No comments: