Thursday, January 29, 2009

A New Family - Day 3

The tough part begins. Reality.

Yes, as soon as she saw me yesterday morning she put it all together. 'The Mean Lady' (who won't let her get away with chewing on toys, standing and jumping on furniture, taking toys, running or hitting) was who she was going to have to spend the day with. There were tears when her mom left.

But as in most cases, the tears didn't last but a minute. I turned on a 'Clifford' video to distract her and it worked. The next kids filtered in quickly thereafter and we were good to go.

Then, the work began. The day was a continuous 'lesson'. Nothing that I said or did was making a difference, so I began to sit her in the high chair in the kitchen (alone), as a time out when she continued not to listen. She was angry ... but the lesson had to be repeated throughout the day. I do believe towards the end of the day, she did look up at me to catch my eye (and approval or disapproval) before she tried to break a known offense. We are headed in the right direction.

Today is going to be a busy day with the kids I have scheduled to come. More kids may act as a distraction for her? It could just make for a more chaotic day. Time will tell ...

No comments: