Monday, June 9, 2008

Infectious Attitudes

I just had a new 1 year old start at my daycare and she is a delight. She has such a happy and easy-going demeanor. She has just learned how to walk and we were all witness to her hitting this major milestone in her young life. She is a delight.

I have listened and watched the reaction of the kids to this new little one. Their voices go up a pitch as they talk to her. And they do talk to her. The way everyone treats this newcomer to our group seems to be infectious. We have all caught it.

It makes me wonder. Is it our attitudes that are contagious ... or is she just that sweet?

I tend to believe (although she is sweet), that it is our attitudes - starting with mine, that has infected all of us. A person tends to mirror what they see in others and what others do.

When I have so many young, impressionable minds looking at me and reflecting my attitudes and actions it reminds me (once again) of what a responsibility I have with these children. I have seen my actions and words repeated in these children time and time again. It is my responsiblity to watch my own actions.

I have had the opposite experience when I've had a child that doesn't fit in so easily. And yes ... my actions and attitudes are mirrored in a negative way as well. It is much more enjoyable to see the positive side come out in all of us.

It starts with me ....

No comments: