Monday, June 16, 2008

How Much is Too Much?

I've made a conscious decision to be careful not to spoil my own kids with material belongings. I like for them to have to save up and really think on something before they get it. I have never wanted to have my kids expect some treat every single time we went shopping. In fact, with my oldest I made a conscious decision never to buy anything for him when we were shopping together (for the first part of his childhood anyway).

It has made going to the store something that I can bear, if I don't have kids begging for and expecting some little thing every time we leave the house. I do not believe in bribery in any form and buying a toy or a treat in exchange for good behavior is something I've never done.

That is simply my thinking. Everyone has their varying beliefs and ways of handling these situations. Whatever works for the individual family ...

I take care of one child who appears to get everything he wants. His mom did without any extras when she was growing up and she said that she didn't want that for her child. It appears that she is making this come true for her son. He comes in with new toys every week. Not just one toy ... it seems like it's three of every fad that he is going through (until he has the complete set and then it is onto the next toy craving).

I shake my head and silently wonder what this does to this child's level of expectations. If you get every single thing you want while you grow up, what will they expect as a teen and an adult?

You simply cannot fill up on material belongings. It is a hunger that is never satisfied. You can fill it, fill it more and continue on filling it ... but it never is completely full. A person always wants more.

It seems this is a lesson that children should learn. But that is just my thinking. Everyone has different ideas. This is just mine.

No comments: