Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kid Dynamics

As I sit in the midst of the din that is my day, my musings are leaning towards the thought, "Why is this particular group of kids getting along so well?"

I think that it has a lot to do with the 'leader' of the group. Most often it is the oldest in the group that sets the tone for the day, though not always. The dominant personality usually takes over (or bands with another dominant soul) when the natural order of the day falls into place.

Today, the oldest is 4 years old. He can be a quiet little guy when he's on his own, but if he is placed in with a group of wild and crazy guys, he can keep up with the best of them. Today, the next oldest one is 3 years old and willing to follow his lead (some of the time anyway). The rest of the gang are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old. They seem to be falling into the energy level of the day.

I don't have any brother/sister combos here today. I find that having siblings together makes quite a difference in the dynamic. They fall into familiar habits and comfort levels when they are together. This often means arguing, bugging and generally more irritating forms of play.

I have looked after all of my 2 to 3 year olds, since they were 1 year old and they have adapted to the rules of conduct around here. When this happens, it makes for a calmer day. I believe in having fun without running, screaming, tattling and demanding attention. My 3 year old has been a challenge. Her idea of playing was to grab toys (and thus the attention) and simply butt into the middle of any game that was being played. But the past few months, she has been here without her older brother. And at long, long last she seems to actually be playing with the other kids (not just bugging them).

I've had some rather challenging days this past while. Today isn't one of them. Days like today are the reason I keep at this job. My perseverance pays off now and again. Being in a house with well behaved kids is rather heavenly.

No comments: