Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ever Changing Schedules and Pay Days

Once again, I feel a 'rant' in me. When I started this blog, my intent was to focus on the positive, what I've learned, how I handle things and just basically an upbeat read.

But there is a flip side that I need to download right now. I am weighed down by things that are out of my control - the ever changing schedules and pay days.

I sat down and wrote a list of the families that I tend. One third of the families that I work for are my top offenders on: #1 - unpredictable and ever changing schedules and #2 - forgetting to pay me (some families are on both lists; others are on one or the other). There is power in writing this down and seeing it in front of me. Because the past few weeks, it has honestly felt like the majority of families are throwing me curve balls. In reality, it is the minority. I feel better already.

Of the two thirds of the families that create few upheavals to my days, I see a common denominator. I have a flat rate fee in place. Or else their schedule is predictable enough that the income is stable.

I am beginning to see the solution as I write. For those parents who require me to be on call for them full-time, I should be compensated for that.

I have one particularly frustrating scenario where the dad has just gotten a new job where he is on call. They call. He is required to go to work. NO notice. And the kids will be here with no more advance warning than he has. They have no idea how much or when he will be working. It could be next to no hours ... or close to full time ... they cannot let me know ahead of time. This is frustrating beyond belief for me. I look at my calendar to see who is coming for the day. I plan menus (amount and what we are having) based on the food preferences of those that are coming. I may be able to plan a walk, a trip to the park or an outing of some sort depending on how many and who are coming. I plan easy meals for busy days; more time consuming meals on days when I have few. I map out what I can squeeze into the day, based on the kids I have coming. I want to know as much as possible, what lies in store for me in my day so that I can prepare myself mentally and physically.

I have another family that is going through a separation and there is a lot of uncertainty in their world. Thankfully, they have let me know this and they are very good (now) at letting me know what is going on as far as their needs to bring their children. Things were more unpredictable for me when they were together and they both forgot to let me know their schedule. Now, because of their new situation they seem to be more conscientious in letting me know what is going on. Communication is key. When I understand the situation, it is far easier to be flexible to their needs.

A familiar chord among many families, is their forgetfulness in letting me know when and if their children are coming. This is frustrating, but there is a risk of becoming too lackadaisical when children don't show up when I expect them. If it happens a lot, I forget to follow up with a phone call to be sure that they shouldn't be here. I've become immune to worry. Because people consistently fail to show up and not notify me.

Forgetting to pay me has become high on my frustration list. One third of my parents paid me when I expected to be paid this month. Another third paid me a day or two late. The remaining third still hasn't paid me. It is the 4th of the month. Pay day is the 1st. How would they feel if their employers forgot to pay them on time? How forgiving would they be? Granted, there is the time when a parent who religiously pays me on time simply forgets. It is an oversight. I know this and I am embarrassed to bring it to their attention because it is something that never happens. This, I can forgive. It is the habitual habit of paying me late that is frustrating. I am totally flexible on pay days. I let the parents choose when to pay me. My only request is that they follow through and pay me on the date they have chosen. This is my livelihood.

There. The words are out of my system and in a form that I can look at and find ways to resolve the issues at hand. There are fewer offenders than I originally thought. This is why I write. It is therapeutic to get the words out of my head. And when I sit down and see the thoughts in front of my, they become easier to solve. "It's elementary, my dear Watson."

No comments: