Friday, November 14, 2008

Adult Intervention

"The real menace in dealing with a five-year-old is that in no time at all you begin to sound like a five-year-old."
~Joan Kerr, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, 1957

I've just heard the comment that my mom thinks that I talk a lot ...

I let the words settle and have realized that I have become the 'chatty care provider' that all of my daycare providers were (when I was the working parent). It is the curse of being around 1 to 5 year olds for 10 hours of your day and not living with or having regular contact with another adult person.

It's not even that I need to talk about my days with the kids. It's the need to talk to an adult person on an adult level. I write excessively, I keep adding things to challenge my mind to my life, I am in fairly regular contact with friends ... and I still talk too much!!

I think it is that it is the company that I keep all day ... the voices in my mind that don't just go away because it is quiet. The voices and conversations (or lack of), of my kid-set.

If ever there was a need for an intervention of the adult mind ... this is it. Yes ... I know that I talk too much ... I just can't seem to stop.

"Hello, my name is Colleen. And I'm a talkaholic."

That is the first step.

No comments: