Friday, July 18, 2008

The Squeaky Wheel

It's really no wonder that kids tend to act up. A sure fire way of getting attention, is to stir up trouble ....

I've had one little guy in my care for over 2 years. After these 2 years of 'training', he still doesn't have me behaving the way I'm supposed to.

I know we are in for a rough morning when he arrives with the lesson he is trying to teach me.

He will walk in and want anything he can't have (anything that someone else is playing with) and get his mom to run interference for him. He doesn't stop until he gets what he wants.

His mom will pick him up and he will blatantly look me in the eye and do something (anything) that he knows he is not allowed to do. And he 'dares' me to stop him with his mom looking on.

He does this more often when he is tired. But over the course of time, he never gives up. Nor do I.

I have had to show my stern side when his mom is here. I refuse to let a 2 - 4 year old dictate the rules. It's not pretty. But I can do it. To let him get away with something once is victory in his eyes.

The mornings that start out with 'my lesson' are tough. The moment his mom leaves, we are both posturing for the power. And I'm stubborn. I don't back down.

These behaviors tax my limited resources. They affect everyone. Of course I have a house full of witnesses to see if I can be overcome. A lot of the kids learn by watching. A few try to see what they can get away with. I have had few that look me in the eye and defy me. I've had some that you can see have reigned it all inside all day. Then when their parents arrive, it's like a small explosion of emotions and behaviors.

These are the actions that demand attention. And they succeed at that. As much as I will not back down from a child who chooses to misbehave, I do try to compliment them when I notice them doing something good. The unfortunate part is that very often, when I compliment the behavior of one who is used to getting in trouble they will almost immediately go back to the bad behavior (???).

Some days, I just scratch my head and wonder if I'm just going in circles here. Then ... we have a very good day. And you feel like something is getting through. Until the next time .....

No comments: