Sunday, July 20, 2008

A New Friend

We had a garage sale yesterday and as one sits amoung the clutter that defines you, it spurs on easy conversations when people discover common interests.

It was one of these conversations with a fellow daycare provider that took on a depth the more we spoke. We spoke the same language and we immediately connected. I mentioned how daycare providers should 'unite' and get together with shared interests, stories, ways of handling things. She completely agreed and immediately handed me her business card. I gave her mine and we are off! A friend.

No matter how long a person has been doing this, there is something to be learned by listening to someone else's perspective on things. The person I met yesterday had been in the daycare business for about a year and she had an energy about her that was infectious. I could use a positive role model. After almost 10 years my enthusiasm is dwindling. I hope I have something to offer her as well.

More often than not, what a person needs is a receptive audience to the many kid-tales that arise during the day. The frustrations, the triumphs and the mundane. In a kid-oriented world, another adult to relate to is a gift.

I made more at our garage sale than money!

1 comment:

Phoebe Ottenbreit said...

In response to "a friend"....I am so amazed at how things turned out on Saturday. At times I feel like I am floundering and it was like God was looking down on me when I met you. I sometimes need that sounding board when it is getting stressful with the kids or when something stressful happens besides kids themselves. I am tired of being told by my one friend that I "should" be doing this or that because that is the way "they" did it in the daycare she worked at. I don't own a "daycare center" I own a home where I provide a warm and welcoming environment for children. Not the same. Not that there is anything wrong with centers. I once told her that if I received the funding they did I would be able to hire somebody to come in and do the bathrooming and feeding so I didn't have to do everything on my own!
When reading your blog I had a lot of very similar experiences which is great.
Sincerely Phoebe