Friday, July 10, 2009

Long Summer Days

I can't believe we are only 2 1/2 weeks into the summer holidays. It's been a very long summer so far.

The challenges of keeping 1 1/2 year olds to 7 1/2 year olds entertained are many. When I first started my daycare, my middle son was 12 years old and he had as much fun playing with the kids (and helping to entertain them), as the kids did.

As the years went on, he grew out of that phase but the kids in my care grew up and as each entered the older ages they seemed to take on the playful attitude of creating fun and games for the younger ones. It was a win-win situation. It kept the older kids entertained and the younger ones happy.

Then my youngest son grew up through the years and he took on the 'fun and games' coordinator role. Again ... everyone was happy. This year, he likes to have more and more time to himself or to play with his own friends. I don't begrudge him any of that - he has spent all 11 years of his life sharing his home, his toys and his mom with a house full of kids. If he wants to take a step away from that, it's okay with me.

The problem that I have this year, is that the older crowd wants to be entertained. They don't want to take on the role of creating games which keeps not only the younger ones entertained, but themselves.

'I'm bored' (I want to be entertained) seems to be the theme of the summer. It starts at the top and works its way down. Granted, the age span is expansive and there is a very high girl to boy ratio. So a lot of them are wishing for a 'buddy' their own age, with their own interests. But I believe it is better to be with a group of children of any age or sex, verses being alone. I believe in utilizing your imagination and finding creative ways of making the best of the situation at hand.

I am not the type of parent who coddled and played with my children excessively. My kids learned to entertain themselves right from the start. I didn't neglect them. I didn't fill every moment of the day with adult stimulation either. I don't treat my daycare family any differently than I did, my own children. I provide a safe home, full of a variety of toys and activities. I can see and hear what is going on; we go outside when we can; and to the neighborhood parks as a treat.

The problem with summer, is that even the special outings become ordinary and mundane if you do the same thing every day. The weather, ages & stages of kids and varying schedules prevent us from doing a lot of gallavanting. But in a way, it helps to keep the outings fresh and exciting when we can go. We haven't had a lot (if any) overly hot summer days. So the water games haven't been happening. Mix kids and water and you've got a winning combination. But so far, that has been rather elusive.

As I write this, I have an (almost) 2 year old; a 2 1/2 year old; a 4 year old and a 5 1/2 year old at play. The voices are happy. Contentment is in the air. But it could change in a moment (and it did ... from a whiny, discontent child ... to the change of activities (coloring in the kitchen) ... and the last arrival of the day (a 3 yr old) ... and someone needing help in the bathroom).

The winds of change, needing to adapt and stop on a dime are always in the air. When the kids are happy, I'm happy. When I'm happy, they're happy.

I think people of all ages (from infanthood to adulthood) should have the ability to make the most of a situation they are in. When your imagination and creativity are allowed to flourish, there is very little to be bored about.

Summer shouldn't be a time of kids wondering what they are going to do with their time. It should be spent living every moment, knowing that these months are fleeting and we must make the most of every moment. Even if it means ... creating your own fun.

No comments: