Friday, July 3, 2009

Attitudes

Attitudes are contagious. Negativity spreads like wild fire when left unchecked. And it's been running rampant in my daycare lately.

In writing out my thoughts yesterday morning, I was dwelling on the negative. It was my fingers that did the talking. When I looked at the words I had just typed, I saw: "As this attitude starts from the top, it has a trickle down effect. So it is with attitudes. Starting with mine. I don't really want to be here either. Maybe I'm the one initiating it??"

I have been listening to a litany of words seeping out of the mouths of the kids. It starts with a whisper, but as the thoughts of the oldest trickle down the line I hear the truth from the younger, more vocal ones: "I'm bored. I want my mom to find a new babysitter."

Ouch.

My immediate response is defensive. I was thinking that it's all (the oldest) his/her fault for starting this attitude. 'Everyone else' knows how to use their imagination, the toys at hand and the kids that are here to make the best of the day. 'No one else' complains. Or ... do they??

I looked at myself and my own attitude. I am frustrated with my 'career', overwhelmed in my life, at a loss as to handle the ages and personalities of the kids I have coming here over the summer and I have been sleep walking through the days. Taking the required steps to do what has to be done. But "I'm bored. I want a new day job." is running through my mind most of the day. And I wonder where the kids get the attitude?? Time to examine the source.

Yesterday was one of those perfect days. All the stars were in alignment so that we could take advantage of a beautiful day outside, the right amount of kids (not too many, not too few) to go on an outing, the right personalities to make an 'adventure' possible, the right schedules that allowed us 3 hours of uninterrupted time where we could leave the house (there can be so much coming and going and variance to my parent's schedules). Plus ... I had the ambition and energy to make the most out of the day.

My attitude was carried down the line. I could hear the difference in my voice and the way the kids reacted to it. The words that were volleyed around the day were fun and uplifting. I was still my usual strict rule enforcer ... but I found new words to state the rules. We set out on an 'adventure' and the only rule was: that they had to be on their best behaviour. Because we could turn around and go home at any time.

There was no bickering about what sidewalk space the other child was taking. There were a few minor bumps and crashes but no crying. Our walk was fairly long, but no one complained. As we set out on our adventure, we all carried the knowledge that it could end at any time. So we made the best of each moment.

As each of the kids were picked up, they couldn't wait to tell their parents about our day. That is the goal I should hope to achieve most (if not all) days. I am surrounded in youth. It's time to lighten up my own attitude and take on some of theirs.

It's time for me to pick up the attitude of wonder and appreciation of the moment from those I find myself surrounded by every single day. I'm sitting in the middle of a treasure cove with my eyes closed. All I need to do is open my eyes and follow their lead.

No comments: