Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fresh Air and Sunshine

About a month ago, I wrote about feeling burnt out. It was just before the sun started shining on our days and created the ability to spend a great deal of time breathing fresh air and absorbing some sun shine.

What a difference a month makes! We have been outside on a regular basis since that time and I feel like a new person.

You can take a bunch of 'wild and crazy kids' outside and the air simply seems to calm them. And if it doesn't, that's okay too. I like for them to spend their energy outside anyway.

More often than not though, after a surge of energy and noise is expended they find something that has grabbed their attention and they are content and happy.

Ladybugs are the best and cheapest form of outdoor entertainment that I have ever come upon. Other bugs are interesting and worth exploring but there is something about the ladybug that keeps them coming back.

The playground and sandbox that I invested in, the first summer I ran my daycare has been worth every single penny it cost to buy and assemble. Kids are natural born climbers and I let them climb as far as their age and agility allows (it's not that tall, but it takes a while for the 1 year olds to conquer). The high vantage point from the platform has been everything from pirate ships to a safe zone to a fort and anything their imaginations come up with. The sand provides endless entertainment for every age.

Simply going for a walk and enjoying the sights of the season is a treat after a long, cold winter. Checking out the neighborhood parks, going to the library if weather and number of kids allows, water fun ... these are a few of my favorite things.

As I have sat out and soaked up the sun and fresh air since our spring weather finally arrived, I gaze over to the contended group of kids in my care and think that this ... is like a little piece of heaven right here on earth.

No comments: