Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Unexpected Schedule in the Childcare World

I have come to expect the unexpected in my world. The comings and goings ... the new arrivals and those that leave ... the many changes in the schedules in my families ... sick kids, kids in recovery from one thing or another ... the 'real life' happenings in and around my families ... job changes/life transitions ....

It is endless. But the only thing one can count on (in the daycare world) is that nothing remains constant.

The one thing that I think we can all control to a greater extent is vacation time. I take the same weeks off in the summer each year and take time off between Christmas and New Years. I have the dates written in my daycare policies that I give to new families and I write them on my white board, newsletters and our daycare blog about 6 months in advance. I know that in most cases, people do have to book their holidays well in advance. So my request as far as parents taking holidays goes is to "please give me as much notice as you have; 2 weeks notice is required."

95% of the families give me lots of notice, others I have to quiz because they don't think to tell me what is going on. Then there are the repeat offenders. People that continue to forget to tell me until the last minute. Of course these would be people that pay me by the day, so this surprise notice really messes up my budgeting. Especially in the summer when I'm working on about 1/2 of my normal wages.

To me, this equates to your boss coming up and telling you that you must take the next 2 weeks off. With no notice, no pay and no apology. It is simply a non negotiable fact.

It just happened again. The timing couldn't have been worse because my budget is stretched beyond the max. This unexpected change means I simply don't have enough money to pay all of my bills this month.

The one thing I wish for is to be given the same consideration that people expect themselves. I don't really think that is too much to ask for.

No comments: