Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Family Dynamics

A person really has no idea what is going on in the lives of others.

In the daycare world, I see my families for those moments when they drop off and pick up their children. Sometimes it is only a brief encounter. Other times it is a more relaxed pace and the parents and I talk at length. Depending on the relationship I have with the parent, I may have very little insight as to what is going on in the families I work with.

There have been a few times (that I've been made aware of) that the parents have been going through relationship troubles. And the moment the confidence is shared with me, it seems to immediately explain some recent issue that has come up.

Kids are such sensitive little souls. They pick up our happiness, our stress, nervousness and the ease in which we live.

Even when a person feels like they are doing everything in their power to protect their children, I think they feel what we are feeling. Even if there are no words exchanged.

I know private issues are private. But it makes such a difference in knowing what I am dealing with sometimes, when I'm taking care of someone else's child ...

No comments: