Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Giving and Receiving

Christmas is a time of giving. I put a lot of myself into the gifts I make for my daycare family. This year was especially time consuming, very rewarding and I feel that it is a keepsake for my families (DVD's that captured some of the best of each family's childrens video moments plus a yearbook filled with many different ideas than the previous years).

It is also a time that I am on the receiving end of several gifts. The gifts that are the most precious, don't cost a thing. A few words of gratitude scrawled on a scrap of paper means the world to me. These are the gifts that I hold onto forever. I don't need or want for anything. Just a few kind words carries me through a lot of the year.

Gratitude - being on the giving and receiving end of it, is truly the best gift. I have spent hours/days/the better part of a week putting together my keepsakes for my families. The more I do it, the less I hear "Thank you". It is so disheartening. But my gift is coming from the right place, so as much as I hope for that heartfelt "Thank you", I simply can't not do this. It's become a year end gift to myself.

To wrap up a year and put it all together in the form of a gift serves to remind me of the positive in our days here.

To anyone thinking that they can't afford Christmas and all material gift-giving, please remember that the best gift of all is a heartfelt note to someone who has impacted your life in some way. Trust me - chocolates come and go, flowers die, gift cards get spent ... but the gift that lasts forever, is the memory of someone taking the time to write a few sentences that can say as little as "Thank you for being you".

No comments: